Wednesday 15 March 2023

#448 - Birthday Book Cozy

 



I’ve been putting this off, and now I know why! It wasn’t horrendous, but it was challenging - although a skill builder for me as I have never used Bosal In-R-Form.


I used two of the bargain Bella Fat Quarters I showed you the other day, and things might have been smoother if the height and width of the book (and thus the cozy) were not soo similar, as I made a mistake and cut them in the wrong orientation to start with.  Also, if the Bosal had been fusible on at least one side.


As I am used to working with quilt batting, I did not fully take account of the thickness, and thus there proved insufficient space to do cut outs on the corners for boxed-bottom corners.  Still, the thickness has given the corners a nice rounded look, which I’m ok with.


That’s two lessons learnt so far then - make a paper pattern rather than just cut out on the run, and fully take account for the medium you are using. Oh no, four lessons … use 505 spray to affix the fabric to the Bosal and engage the Smart Feed technology on the machine to stop it twisting as you quilt.


Lesson five was leave a sufficient turning gap, one of the sides would have been better for that as the bottom did not have the space to do that.  Never let it be said that I didn’t go at it with a will turning through the bottom, and after what felt like 10 rounds with the WWF I did manage to wrestle it through.  I needed a cup of tea and a biscuit after that!


Lesson six was to remember that with the Kerei I have a sleeve arm, and therefore not try to fight the top stitching when the lining was pushed to the inside.  I managed a creditable job that notwithstanding.


All in all, six lessons learnt and a reasonably looking item the first time I used something new is not too shabby.  I will try this again using H640 interfacing on another one, but this is being gifted along with the little hardcover book for somebody special’s birthday in a few days.  The other gifts I’ll be easier as they will go in a variation if my DMC storage bag, which takes moments to cut out and make up, especially as I use my cheat method of lining.


Next, I need to seriously turn my attention to getting the appliqué on the back of the baby quilt and then get her done.


Kay xx









No comments:

Post a Comment

#481 - HAED - Patron Saint of Green Chile - 18.83% completed

 Day 92 Page 8 is finally finished, it’s been so hot here that I managed to rack up a No Stitch Day because of it, and also a few days of lo...