Thursday 10 March 2022

#304 - HAED Mini Bouquet - 30.20% completed

 


Part of my spinning learning was to try using commercially spun yarn and practice getting it pulled on to the bobbin with minimal twist, which went fairly well.  Then as part of plying practice implied that with commercially spun mohair yarn in the opposite direction … one way is S twist and the other Z twist,  it I wouldn’t lie to you and pretend I know which is which.


Then I used my new LAMXD ball winder to take it off the bobbin.  There was a nasty tangling incident, and I had to break the yarn and start all over again, but I think this was a tension issue as I was using my onboard Lazy Kate and did not pay proper attention to the fact that you can have no tension whilst doing that.

Usually, a Niddy Noddy is used to take the yarn off the bobbin (there is no excuse here as I have on) which creates a skein, and then that is placed on a Swift (I don’t have one because I thought I had ordered the ball yarn winder and swift combo and it turns out I did not).  The yarn then spins round like a whirling dervish whilst the handle on the ball winder is turning and creates these fun yarn cakes … anything utilising the word cake is good!

I still have another bobbin of this stuff to ply with mohair and then wind.  I think a Swift is going to be ordered today.  Another slight issue I had was that the winder kept coming loose, but I am sure this is down to the table.  So the Darling One will be asked nicely to make me a platform to mount it on, or I will have to do it in the new shed when 5he work bench goes in.  Although, I am not sure when that will be as the paining hasn’t begun in there.

Last night I finished another set of lines (71 to 80) and also reached 30% complete with the design,  I’m still going on the current mission.


I would have done more, but was playing wit( my other new tool the Blending Board from Wingham Wool.  It was fun, but took me a time or two to be able to realise that I was winding it of on to the dowels way too tightly, but more to follow in that shortly,

Have a great day.

Hugs


Kay xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

#481 - HAED - Patron Saint of Green Chile - 18.83% completed

 Day 92 Page 8 is finally finished, it’s been so hot here that I managed to rack up a No Stitch Day because of it, and also a few days of lo...